Egg and Soldiers

Yesterday's writing included a scene at the breakfast table with Reg at the age of six.  Now what would a little boy who lived on a farm in Sussex have for breakfast?  Egg and soldiers of course!  This was introduced to me by my husband when our kids were little.  His Mum called them Eggs 'n Dip-in, and I've seen them called Eggy Soldiers as well.  

 As a result of my internet research yesterday, I followed the directions and made myself some this morning.  I must say they are the best I've ever made.  The secret is to boil the egg for 3 1/2 minutes.  That makes the yolk the perfect consistency and temperature for dipping and absorbing that tasty yolk.  I toasted the bread twice as long as I usually do, buttered it generously, and cut the crusts off.  I have a feeling in depression era England in 1924, they'd have left the crusts on. 

If you're wondering about my egg cup, it's made with the smallest terracotta pot you can buy and I glued letter beads with everyone's name on them for place markers last Easter.  I dyed some eggs as well, hollowed them out and filled them with jelly beans and dollar store fuzzy chicks.  I think I also included a rolled up slip of paper with an Easter riddle in it. I was going for an Easter equivalent of Christmas Crackers.   When we were done eating everyone cracked their eggs and read the riddles aloud. 


Comments

  1. What a fun idea - the terracotta egg cups! I should try the eggy soldiers on my kids some time (except they don't like eggs or marmite... yet!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't heard of the marmite ones. Did hear of vegemite ones, Australian in origin. Don't think I've ever tried either spread...sounds like it's time for a new taste sensation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that marmite?? It sure looks like it! And I'm guessing the traditional British ones probs sport marmite. Definitely an acquired taste - although I've warmed up to it enough to love it on cheese paninis <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. No marmite on it. It's dark toast with butter. Didn't mention marmite in my recipe and I haven't found any recipes for it online that called for marmite. Some of the aussie ones called for vegemite.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bless Us Every One

Pearls of Wisdom

My Favourite Childhood Christmas Book