What's For Dinner Wednesdays

Writing a blog post every day is more challenging than you might think, so I've been scouring the web to see what other people are up to. What's for Dinner Wednesdays seems to be a common food blog title so I don't think anyone will mind me borrowing this one.

I love trying new recipes and I've come to use Google as my new recipe file.  It is nice to have an actually book in front of you sometimes and that's where the library comes in.  On a recent trip to the Mission Branch I returned with "Mediterranean Cooking" and a great vegetarian paella recipe I thought I'd share it with you.


Heat 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium low-heat.  Add 2 chopped onions and 3 garlic cloves minced (I like to add a couple more, unless the three you have are really big).   Saute 3 to 4 minutes until softened.  Add 2 chopped and seeded bell pepper and 6 tomatoes cut in wedges, cooking until softened.  Add 2 cups of medium grain risotto rice, 5 ounces green beans chopped, one medium zucchini sliced,  1 tsp saffron mixed with 3 Tbsp hot water.  Add 1 Tbsp smoked paprika.  Pour in 5 cups hot vegetable broth, decrease the heat to low and gently simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure the rice cooks evenly.  

Stir in 1/2 cup of frozen peas (I used edamame here since I had some and it would up the protein content of the meal) and 1 cup of baby spinach leaves.  (I used 2 cups cause that 's what I had and it needed to be used).  Remove from the heat and cover.  Set aside for 10 minutes.  Add 1/4 chopped parsley (has excellent cancer preventing properties) and season with salt and pepper.

Serve hot and enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bless Us Every One

My Favourite Childhood Christmas Book

Pearls of Wisdom