Keepin' it Weird

In every marriage more than a week old, there are grounds for divorce. The trick is to find, and continue to find, grounds for marriage.
– Robert Anderson



We're all a little weird,

and life's a little weird.

And when we find someone 

whose weirdness is compatible with ours,

we join up with them 

and fall in mutual weirdness

and call it LOVE.

-Dr. Seuss


The photo at the top of page was taken circa 1984. When I came across it recently, I knew I had to re-create it for our next anniversary.  Today we've been married for twenty seven years.

The regulars in the crowd won't be surprised that my husband still owns a shirt he wore almost thirty years ago.  He figures he's had it since 1980 and when we were preparing for the photograph the other  night, he told me he wants to be wearing it when he's "popped in the oven".  I have a feeling it may survive cremation.

I'm sure the sweater in the first photo, which is his, would still be in his closet if not for the moth hole I found near the waist band a couple of years ago.  Even with the hole it took a lot for me to get him to agree to get rid of it.  Now I have to admit I'm sorry I did.  I tried to find a sweater of his that might resembled it and this is as close as I could get.  Tune in in another twenty seven years to see if it's still around.  I have faith that if we're still around in another twenty seven years we'll still be together, sharing our weirdness.

Comments

  1. Congrats to you both! Those quotes are just the BEST. I like the weirdness theory. I think those who tend to get divorced could have issues with even admitting that they have weirdness of their own. I think sometimes, it could be an ego-thing. I love and adore my partner in weirdness and look forward to seeing us celebrate our own 27 years one day! Can't wait to see the next posts. P.S. You guys still look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lilly! I definitely agree with you. There are some marriages that should end, but I think many people who get divorced find the same problems in marriage number two. Whenever you point the blame at someone else, there's three fingers pointing back at you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bless Us Every One

Pearls of Wisdom

My Favourite Childhood Christmas Book