Gyring and Gimbling in the Wabe

Towards the end of our week on Antigua this February, we stopped for lunch at a the Casanova Restaurant across from Jabberwock beach, in Saint John's Parish.  The food was middle eastern and excellent.  Wish I could tell you the name of what I had, but I can't remember.  It was like a gyro with a tasty beef filling and a savory sauce.  I recall it started with a K and might have been Kibbeh.  I'd go back in a minute and eat anything on the menu, other than the lamb.  

The north east shore of Antigua is a windy place.  Jabberwock is rated as a top beach for swimming but I wouldn't want to have to dodge the kite surfers, and the sea is pretty weedy.  It was a fun place to stop and watch these daredevils. Wherever we roam, I'm always drawn to photograph the kite surfers, including at home on Kelowna's Rotary Beach.  I don't think I've ever seen any female kite surfers in my travels, so it was nice to see a few out "ripping" as the kids say.  

I felt the beach was well named and the first stanza of Lewis Carroll's poem sets the scene well.

Twas brilig and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
                                          
















Comments

  1. RE: Middle East & bastardised Arabic..."Asalaam alaikum" (trad. Greeting) & "Allah hadez" (trad. Farewell)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry...wasn't trying to show of my primitive language skills. These photos are great...did Mike use a fast shutter speed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Mike's camera was back in the Villa - he brought a Go Pro with him and used it mostly for diving and snorkelling. I brought my newish Nikon D610 and my 24:300 FX lens. Haven't picked it up for months and decided to go with the "scene" settings which mostly ended up being a mistake. I used the "sport" mode for these photos, so they would have started out with a fast shutter speed, but some how it got knocked to another setting (bad design) and everything was over exposed after that. I ended up doing a lot of post production adjustments, which I hate, but at least I was able to fix them

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bless Us Every One

My Favourite Childhood Christmas Book

Pearls of Wisdom